Friday, March 26, 2010

Why a skirt?

As a guy, I guess the first question I am usually asked is, “Why a Skirt?” To be honest, I just feel that they are very comfortable and “breathable” for me than pants or shorts. I have heard women around me in my life saying they felt too restrictive in a skirt. However, I feel that is the exact opposite for me. To me, it is like finally opening the windows of hot car after many years and feeling the breeze cool you off as you speed down the highway. Pure comfort…

Besides, there are not many fashion choices for men. For pants, it’s usually jeans or khakis. Country or Western. Sometimes, I just really don’t feel like dressing exactly the same as everyone else and enjoy having some fun taking liberties with fashion. The amount of styles of kilts and skirts is mindboggling (to say the least) and you could probably wear a different style everyday for the rest of your life and never repeat the same kilt/skirt.

I grew up with a sweater or jacket tied around my waist most of my youth. Very few days passed when I didn’t have a sweater tied loosely around my waist. Even then, I would get the occasional “nice skirt” comment from girls. Then, a friend of mine encouraged me to wear a skirt for the first time during Halloween and I have enjoyed them ever since.

Things have changed quite a bit, but it is still not a true “skirted” world for men. I usually wear my skirts at home and if appropriate, for special occasion such as festivals, concerts, parties, etc. but usually not on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. Glad to see someone out there with a Kilt or man-skirt blog. Just bought my first kilt about three weeks ago. One of the Utilikilts from Seattle. I wanted something more comfortable to work in than the jeans I have been wearing forever. Utilikilts makes a couple of styles that are heavy duty that I can wear welding and doing a lot of the construction related duties of my work. It is extremely comfortable. Air conditioned, if you will, and non-restrictive. I have been wearing it around town, and it has been fascinating to observe people's reactions. A lot of surprise, of course, some shock and amusement. I'm not sure if I characterize some of the reactions as disdain, or revulsion, or a combination of that and fear. But mostly smiles and everyone who has said anything about it has been positive. If people have negative comments, they are keeping them to themselves. Anyway, I think they are great, and I don't really care what everyone else feels about them. I have plans to buy more and wear them more often. I like Utilikilts take on them: it's not a Scottish thing. Theirs is a definite American spin on the Kilt. Keep up the good work, and begin wearing yours on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete