Sunday, March 28, 2010

My First Contra Dance In A Long, Tiered Skirt!

I went to the local Contra Dance last week wearing the long, tiered skirt pictured. Contra Dance is a form of English Dancing and consists of lines of partners and lots of twirling and spinning. Many websites encourage men to wear skirts so I decided to give it a try.

I have worn a kilt before, but this is the first time in a long, tiered skirt and I was just a wee bit nervous. The women collecting money at the front desk greeted me and said "cute skirt!" She really made my night and put me at ease. It's amazing how a couple of kind words can boost your confidence. As I entered the hall I received a lot of looks and a couple smiles. I sat down for a second and before I knew it I was soon up dancing the first of many songs.

It took a while to get use to skirt and not to trip on the hem, but I soon got the hang of it. Most of the dances have live bands which sound great and lots of fun to listen to. You just follow the Caller's instructions to contra dance.

I was the only guy in a skirt this time which actually turned to be a good thing, because I got special attention. At alot of dances, the guys in skirts are recognized as being great dancers so they have a pretty good reputation. Some of my partners commented "I like your skirt!" and I even had a short conversation while sitting out a dance with an older woman. She told me that it was wonderful to see a guy in a skirt and hoped that I would wear it every time.

It was a fun time with lots of great people, fantastic music and lots of skirt twirling. I can't wait till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment